On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 over 50 student-athletes were recognized in this springs annual event. The Second Annual Academic Achievement Day and Eighth Annual Marcia H. Conrad Awards Ceremony recognized the accomplishments of students through workshops, presentations and awards in this day and evening long event.
The 2nd event of the week to commemorate NCAA Division III week highlighted the academic achievements of the “Wildcats” student-athletes. During the day portion of Academic Achievement Day student-athletes participated in; demonstrations, workshops, video presentations and group projects. They included:
- Stephanie Belsen (Field Hockey & lacrosse) presenting on Dissonance within the American Educational system.
- Nicole Dexter (Softball) speaking on her internship experience with the Willie Ross School for the Deaf.
- Marissa Stone (Softball) recapping her internship experience with a New Hampshire Criminal defense office.
- Emily Serrano (softball & soccer), Katherine Chabot (Field Hockey & Softball), Omisi Agbe-Rankhe (Soccer) and Destiny Donnell (Basketball) presenting on Violence against women & children.
- Kate Bartels (Volleyball) a Forensics Psychology major spoke on the topic; Designing a “Failure to Appear” Risk Tool for use in Probation
- Kelly Wlbur (Lacrosse) presented “The Making of a Serial Killer”
- Ruth Choate (Field Hockey) checked in live from Florence, Italy via the internet to speak about her spring semester “Studying Abroad”
- Elizabeth Barclay (Lacrosse & Field Hockey) with her Honors Thesis, “Can the Five Factor Model of Personality Predict Coping?
- Presenting on their WELL 100 Alternative Spring Break, “Learning while giving back to the Community were; Shayna Fish (Field Hockey), Yismel Rosario (Tennis) & Renee Beamon (Tennis) Megan Squadrito (Lacrosse).
- Other student-athletes presenting included: Shelby Regan (Lacrosse), Nicole Mitchell (Soccer & Lacrosse), Katrina Traikovski (Cross Country), Megan Wise (Cross Country & Lacrosse) and Olivia Bis (Cross Country).
The evening portion of the program 8Th Annual Marcia H. Conrad honors students with awards, scholarships and national honors based on academic, community and service to the College and greater community. The Maroon Key, awarded to students who have attained the Dean’s List (3.50 GPA) for 4 semesters was presented to over 110 honorees. The Athletic Department would like to recognize 17 student-athletes among them:
- Field Hockey: Anna Bankowski, Ruth Choate, Danielle Poulin
- Volleyball: Kate Bartels, Kacie Bayreuther, Ashley Provost
- Tennis: Symone Watson, Abigail Janneke
- Lacrosse: Jillian O’Melia
- Soccer: Samantha Bujak
- Cross Country: Jessica Fields
- Softball: Nicole Dexter
- Keelin Dougherty& Emily Serrano (Softball & Soccer)
- Nicole Mitchell & Rachael Barber (Soccer & Lacrosse)
- Stephanie Belsen (Field Hockey & Lacrosse)
Receiving Recognition for the National Who’s Who awards were: Ashley Provost (Volleyball) & Shelby Regan (Lacrosse).
The Jeannette T. Wright Award given to a sophomore for leadership at Bay Path College went to Shayna Fish (Field Hockey).
Nicole Dexter (Softball) was the recipient of the School of education and Psychology Community Service Award.
During the program Dr. Dave Wallace, Professor of Psychology and the Faculty Athletic Representative or (FAR) for Bay Path College to the NCAA presented the TEAM Award for academic excellence to the Varsity team with the highest GPA over the past two semesters. The tennis team has won the Award the past 5 years but this year’s winner was the softball team with a GPA of over 3.4.
The evening ended with family and friends attending a reception with refreshments.