LONGMEADOW, Mass.- Bay Path hosted New England Collegiate Conference newcomer Regis College in women's tennis action where the Wildcats defeated the Pride 6-3 today during the Columbus Day holiday.
Bay Path took an early advantage taking 2-of-the-3 doubles. The Wildcats' senior Sarah Costa (Tiverton, R.I.) and her sophomore partner Symone Watson (Hamden, Conn.) were able to defeat the tandem action of freshman Elora Granados (Chillicothe, Tex..) and sophomore Paige Pasley (Dorchester, Mass.) 8-2 in the #1 spot. Next to win was the #3 Wildcat doubles of sophomore Teanna Montoya (Edgartown, Mass.) and senior Tara Mullane (Pomfret, Conn.) 8-3 over the Pride tandem of sophomore Caroline Roche (Hanover, Mass.) and freshman Erika Palmer (Southborough, Mass.).
The last to finish doubles action was the #2 spot where Regis' partners senior MJ Barron (Whitinsville, Mass.) and freshman Kendall Kolb (Plymouth, Mass.) overtaking Bay Path's freshman Stephanie Morin (Springfield, Mass.) and senior Lianna Loveitt (South Dennis, Mass.) 8-5.
Watson easily won the #2 singles first 6-1, 6-0 defeating Roche. Next to finish was #3 singles with Morin winning 6-1, 6-1 over Barron.
Match point came from the #5 singles match when Loveitt clinched the victory for the Maroon and White defeating her opponent Pasley 6-3, 6-2.
Montoya added an insurance point next for the Wildcats. She took the #4 singles match 6-3, 6-3 over Chum.
Regis won the final two singles matches with Kolb defeating Mullane 6-2, 7-5 in the #6 spot. The last match to finish was the #1 singles where Bay Path's Costa suffering the hard fought loss 6-4, 7-5 to the Pride's Granados.
Bay Path is 7-2 overall 4-1 in the NECC, while Regis is now 2-7 on the season and 2-4 in conference play. Both teams will be back in action tomorrow with Bay Path facing Newbury on the road at 3:00 p.m. and Regis hosting Mitchell at 4:30 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Regis vs Bay Path College
10/10/11 at Longmeadow, Mass.
Bay Path College 6, Regis 3
1. Elora Granados (RCWT) def. Sarah Costa (BPWT) 6-4, 7-5
2. Symone Watson (BPWT) def. Caroline Roche (RCWT) 6-1, 6-0
3. Stephanie Morin (BPWT) def. Mary Jane Barron (RCWT) 6-1, 6-1
4. Teanna Montoya (BPWT) def. Vanneyra Chum (RCWT) 6-3, 6-3
5. Lianna Loveitt (BPWT) def. Paige Pasley (RCWT) 6-3, 6-2
6. Kendall Kolb (RCWT) def. Tara Mullane (BPWT) 6-2, 7-5
1. Sarah Costa/Symone Watson (BPWT) def. Elora Granados/Paige Pasley (RCWT) 8-2
2. Mary Jane Barron/Kendall Kolb (RCWT) def. Stephanie Morin/Lianna Loveitt (BPWT) 8-5
3. Teanna Montoya/Tara Mullane (BPWT) def. Caroline Roche/Erika Palmer (RCWT) 8-3
Regis 2-7, 2-4 NECC
Bay Path College 7-2, 4-1 NECC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,3,5,4,6,1)