CAMBRIDGE, MA -- Bay Path College (9-2, 6-1 NECC) won first and third doubles points in topping Lesley, 5-4, in New England Collegiate Conference women's tennis play Wednesday night in Cambridge.
For the Lynx (5-5, 5-4 NECC), Brenna Donovan (Hingham, MA/Hingham) earned singles and doubles victories, and reigning NECC Player of the Week Michelle Side (Miller Place, NY/Rocky Point) topped Bay Path's Sarah Costa, 6-1, 7-5, in the top singles slot.
However, Michelle and Katie Side fell to Costa (Tiverton, RI/Tiverton) and Symone Watson (Hamden, CT/Hamden), 8-5, in first doubles, and Teanna Montoya and Tara Mullane won a critical third doubles decision, 8-3, over Lesley's Christina Constantine and Emily Scolaro, icing the Wildcats narrow 5-4 victory.
Watson also defeated Lesley's Nicole Smith, 6-2, 6-3, in second singles.
With her first singles win, a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Montoya, Donovan improves to 6-1 in singles play.
Now 5-5 overall and 5-4 in league play, Lesley returns to play on Saturday at noon, playing host to first-place Becker College. Bay Path, meanwhile, travels to Becker on Thursday at 3 p.m.
Bay Path College 5, Lesley University 4
10/12/11 at Cambridge, MA (Nicholas Athletics Center)
1. Michelle Side (LUWT) def. Sarah Costa (BPWT) 6-1, 7-5
2. Symone Watson (BPWT) def. Nicole Smith (LUWT) 6-2, 6-3
3. Katie Side (LUWT) def. Stephanie Morin (BPWT) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
4. Brenna Donovan (LUWT) def. Teanna Montoya (BPWT) 6-2, 6-3
5. Lianna Loveitt (BPWT) def. ChristinaConstantine (LUWT) 6-1, 6-0
6. Tara Mullane (BPWT) def. Emily Scolaro (LUWT) 6-2, 6-1
1. Sarah Costa/Symone Watson (BPWT) def. Michelle Side/Katie Side (LUWT) 8-5
2. Nicole Smith/Brenna Donovan (LUWT) def. Stephanie Morin/Lianna Loveitt (BPWT) 8-6
3. Teanna Montoya/Tara Mullane (BPWT) def. ChristinaConstantine/Emily Scolaro (LUWT) 8-3
Bay Path College 9-2, 6-1 NECC
Lesley University 5-5, 5-4 NECC