LONGMEADOW, Mass. - #2 Bay Path College defeated #3 Lesley University today in New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) women's tennis semi-final action after a rain-out match rescheduled from Wednesday. The Wildcats won 5-1 over the Lynx stopping play after the fifth point was won. Bay Path will travel to the top seed Becker tomorrow to vie for the title at a 1:00 p.m. start time.
The Wildcats took two of the three doubles and then proceeded to garb the next three points in singles action to win the match.
First to finish in #2 doubles action was freshman Stephanie Morin (Springfield, Mass.) and senior Lianna Loveitt (Gorham, Maine) who easily defeated the Lynx tandem of juniors Hannah Phalen (Seattle, Wash.) and Katie Side (Miller Place, N.Y.) 8-3. Next to finish was the # 1 flight of Wildcats' senior Sarah Costa (Tiverton, R.I.) and sophomore Symone Watson (Hamden, Conn.) who overtook senior junior Nicole Smith (Rindge, N.H.) and junior Brenna Donovan (Hingham, Mass.) 8-3.
In the final doubles action, Lesley's tandem sophomore Christina Constantine (Amsterdam, N.Y.) and sophomore Emily Scolaro (Peabody, Mass.) defeated sophomore Teanna Montoya (Edgartown, Mass.) and senior Tara Mullane (Pomfret, Conn.) 8-3.
Despite the doubles loss, Mullane was the first to produce a point for the Wildcats in singles action taking the #6 flight 6-4, 6-2 over Phelan. Next to finish was the #1 flight with Costa downing Smith 6-3, 6-2.
Montoya tallied the match point after Constantine 6-1, 6-4 leading the Wildcats to a 5-1 victory over Lesley and securing their spot in the championship match. The #2 flight, #3 flight and #5 flight were unable to finish their matches.
Lesley finishes the season at 5-8 while Bay Path advances to 11-2 overall.
NECC Women's Tennis Championships
Semifinals- Friday, October 21, 2011
#1 Becker (15-1) defeated #4 Regis (5-9) 5-0
#2 Bay Path (11-2) defeated #3 Lesley (5-8) 5-1
Championship- Saturday, October 22nd at Becker
#2 Bay Path vs. #1 Becker 1:00 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Lesley University vs Bay Path College
10/21/11 at Longmeadow, Mass.
Bay Path College 5, Lesley University 1
1. Sarah Costa (BPWT) def. Nicole Smith (LUWT) 6-3, 6-2
2. Symone Watson (BPWT) vs. Katie Side (LUWT) unfinished
3. Stephanie Morin (BPWT) vs. Brenna Donovan (LUWT) unfinished
4. Teanna Montoya (BPWT) def. Christina Constantine (LUWT) 6-1, 6-4
5. Lianna Loveitt (BPWT) vs. Emily Scolaro (LUWT) unfinished
6. Tara Mullane (BPWT) def. Hannah Phelan (LUWT) 6-4, 6-2
1. Sarah Costa/Symone Watson (BPWT) def. Nicole Smith/Brenna Donovan (LUWT) 8-3
2. Lianna Loveitt/Stephanie Morin (BPWT) def. Katie Side/Hannah Phelan (LUWT) 8-3
3. Christina Constantine/Emily Scolaro (LUWT) def. Tara Mullane/Teanna Montoya (BPWT) 8-3
Lesley University 5-8
Bay Path College 11-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,1,4)
T-3 hours A-47